I just wanted to share an e-mail that I had received from my sister-in-law (Thanks Amie). Some of you may have heard or seen it before. I thought instead of forwarding it along to everyone I know, I would post it here!! Love You all! Enjoy!
____________________________________________________________________
A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.
When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said: 'Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink.
What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups... And then you began eyeing each other's cups.
Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life. The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have.
Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot chocolate God has provided us. God makes the hot chocolate, man chooses the cups. The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything that they have.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate.


3 comments:
Kim, that is profound!!! So true, if I could just focus more on the hot chocolate (which I love to drink anyway:), b/c everything else isn't that important!!! By the way, I am SOOOOO impressed that you have lost 7 lbs in, what, a week and a half? YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! You are lookin' good! It was great to see you at aerobics today!
That is awesome Kim, great analogy! I will have to keep that in mind. So whats the secret on the weight loss. Do I need to know this diet? Congrats!!
Love it. It really is that simple isn't it? Oh how easy it is to get caught up eyeing one another's cups instead of enjoying what we have in our hands. Thanks for the beautiful reminder. I love hot chocolate.
Post a Comment